Thursday, May 29, 2008

The "A" Word: Part 2 - My Response

O.k. first let me thank everyone for their patience. It’s been a month since I blogged on the “A” word. I deliberately took my time responding because I wanted everyone to read it and reply to it. Let me say that I loved all of the comments that I received (public and private). Secondly, let me ensure you that I will be updating the website and blog page frequently so be sure to stay in touch. I’m encouraged by your comments and knowing that you are reading my mind (didn’t know you had that power, huh?).

Let me start off my response to the “A” word by noting something interesting: In my 3 hour conversation with my friend, he suggested to me that if I ever intended on reaching the “black church” that I should eliminate the word Apologetics from my vocabulary. However, the reasons he gave for not using the word apologetics, actually argued against the use and importance of apologetics altogether. Walk with me point by point as I give my response:

“The word Apologetics is foreign to people, no ones ever heard of it or knows what it means”

Response: Well then thank God for the honor and privilege of introducing the word to people. I remember hearing a joke that said “if you want to keep something from a black person, put it in a book.” What the joke implies is that black folks don’t read. How insulting is it to suggest that because a word is foreign or even somewhat difficult to understand that people can’t learn something new. Notice I said “people” not black people because this is not a race problem; it’s a problem of people being intellectually lazy. We must remember that ignorance is not a spiritual badge of honor. God wants us to have a childlike faith not a childish faith.

“If the pastor as the “head, father, or prophet” of that house (the Church), is unable to elaborate on or reiterate the points of discussion that the apologist brings up, he might find this challenging to his ability to "hear from God" or reveal a lack of knowledge on his part in a particular area or study.”

Response: First let me go back to my point about spiritually lazy people. It’s a lot easier to claim “new revelation” or what the Holy Spirit is saying to you, then it is to “Study to show yourself approved.” I know there was a time in this country when education may not have been as accessible, a time when the pastor could not lean on his command of scripture or understanding of Greek or Hebrew as an appeal to his authority and therefore his authority (and respect as Pastor) came from his ability to “hear from God.” I believe this is why many Pastors become intimidated or even feel embarrassed when they can not elaborate of reiterate on the points of discussion an apologist may bring up. But here’s the deal: Why should Pastors be made to feel like they should know everything? Or why do they set themselves up for a fall by acting like they should know everything? The truth of the matter is this: If you find a Pastor who knows all things and has an infinite understanding of the infinite . . . Drop to your knees and worship him, you are dead and in the presence of Jesus!

“No one cares about apologetics . . . what people are concerned about are real life challenges”

Response: Even if no one cares about apologetics, it doesn’t follow that it is not important. It is vital that we as believers know what we believe and why we believe it. Having a firm foundation is what helps us to make sense of the “real life challenges” we face in society today. It is this type of thinking that leads Christians to have private convictions they do not live out publicly. It is why so many people put money before morality or trade their patience for their passions (don’t believe me; watch how people vote in this upcoming election).

“As long as you are not teaching heresy, love Jesus, teach people to live better, and preach truth, that’s all that matters.”

Response: Really? How do you know that you are not teaching heresy? Or that you are loving the real Jesus? How do you know that you are preaching Truth? It is the discipline of apologetics that helps us to discern truth, recognize error, and maintain doctrinal integrity in our churches.

Lastly, “At the end of the day you don’t need apologetics to get to heaven."

Response: Even if that was a true statement, it doesn’t follow that apologetics has no value. First, I believe in many cases apologetics is the very thing God uses to help remove the barriers of unbelief to draw men unto Himself. Secondly, there are at least three great purposes for apologetics in the life of a believer:

1. Personally it is important for a believer to know what they believe and why.
2. Culturally we must stand for the truth ethically and morally.
3. Evangelistically we must be ready to give an answer to everyone for the hope we have in Christ.



My Mind, My Thoughts, My Heart, My Words

3 comments:

Frederick Lang said...

Brother Hayes,

Since the word Apologetics is not even written in the word of God, it never the less is as important to teach the fundamentals of what that word represents. It's as "fundamental" as sharing the Gospel I believe.

Why should it even concern anyone that the black church is uninterested in that subject. I know plenty of white folks and every other people group that are as less concerned about the word, as they are as ignorant of the truth apologetics actually teaches.

Evolution for example, has infiltrated the Christian church simply because many believers are "ignorant" of the Bible and how it treats true empirical science. Evolution, derived from the humanist and atheistic mind set, is singularly most responsible for the racism and racial bias we see today, not to mention those same philosophies filtering into the church concerning so-called science. Shouldn't we know what true science says about "races"?

What I mean to say is, apologetics captures those studies in every aspect of the faith, including science and zillions of other Bible topics. The idea that blacks are the direct and most recent descendant of apes is an exclusive teaching of anthropology and evolutionary science. Frankly to me as a Caucasian, that current particular teaching is an anathema to me - simply because it is NOT true nor supported biblically or scientifically. However, creation from the very beginning teaches we are all of ONE race and apologetics is the bench mark for teaching that powerful Biblical truth among others. This is pure unadulterated apologetics at its best!

I read many bible/science articles from the Institute for Creation Research every day and if there ever was an apologetics organization existing in science, they lead the way. They fundamentally defend the Biblical story of distinct created kinds, including man as uniquely separate from the animal kingdom and that truth is also taught in its purest meaning throughout science and intelligent design.

Bottom line, we need to stress the idea of apologetics, if not the word itself. We need the truth it represents. We need to study and defend ALL biblical truth and specifically in the area that we are not descendants of apes but uniquely created in God's image; that there was a Noachian flood that destroyed all the known earth and its inhabitants due to terrible sin according to the Bible and that we also see the results of that judgment in the earth's geology all around us. We need to know that God also unconditionally forgives us through the redemptive work of Christ alone and He has our best in mind...that He will re-establish His creation as it was originally intended.

I believe apologetics is the single most important word we can know, not because of the word as spelled but because it allows us a bench mark in Biblical studies to specifically address those tenets of the faith and show ourselves approved, ready to defend every known truth given to us in the Holy Bible.

Thanks for defending that truth Shawn, using the word apologetics not-with-standing.

Patty T. said...

Bravo, Shawn! We are admonished in the Bible to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind. Christians often drop the third aspect, and fail to preach that we are to love God with all our mind. We are created to glorify God in all aspects of our being, and this certainly includes our mind. The use of apologetics is needed more than ever today, as the church is increasingly challenged intellectually by a wide variety of contradictory cults, "isms," and by "intellectually respected" professors both on college campuses and on our TV screens. If we do not know what and why we believe as we do, faith is weakened by spurious, unfounded, but intellectually appealing arguments. This is not a black/white issue, it is a Christian issue. We are called to give an answer, to be able to articulate and defend our faith. And, to say that apologetics is not helpful in both evangelization and edification is to deny the ministry of the apostle Paul, who certainly used proofs, defenses and reasonable arguments to persuade men of the authenticity and truth of the gospel. Thank you for your clear and reasoned response. And, keep doing what God has laid before you.

crystal said...

I did not grow up in the church; my family did not even discuss anything related when I was a child. However, I do remember my mother looking into different religions -- searching for the TRUTH. But how was she to know the TRUTH if someone was not ready and willing to share it with her? AND how was someone going to share the TRUTH (and answer questions) if they truly did not understand what they believed and why? "Which faith is the right way, are they all right, or does this even matter?" Typical questions that the world has that we must provide an answer for. To some degree, I think we have closed ourselves in the four walls of our individual church buildings to meet the "needs of the people" -- but which "people" are we trying to meet? If our ministry is truly for the "lost" -- we really need to rethink this. Yes, the church should be meeting the needs of the members; but it must also build the flock, so that we can go out to reach the lost.

I remember at the age of 11 -- My best friend at the time had a bible study at her house weekly. One time, I asked if I could join b/c I wanted to learn and had questions. The teacher asked if I was a Christian or went to a church. I said no. She then proceeded to say that I was not allowed to join the bible study (she did not even offer to meet with me separately). Are these the attitudes of most Christians; not welcoming questions from an unbeliever? Maybe she thought I would "confuse" her student or maybe she was just afraid she could not answer my questions -- either way this should have prompted her to open her heart to an unbeliever and/or prompted her to understand more about her faith so that she could talk with me/others. I was very turned off when this happened and noticed that my desire started to die down. This memory is still very vivid in my mind. Around the same time I was introduced to the New Age cult by my mother who was fully involved already by then. I started to open myself up to this cult as well. I did not know this was a cult-- In fact, I thought you could just believe what you wanted or believe nothing at all. Again, the need for apologetics in a dieing world.

Regardless of what someone "feels" or their "background/ comfortability level" -- when you become a Christian-- this is a commandment. Why do we want to complicate such things? Funny, we do not question such scriptures as...Matt 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations...." But we question 1 Pet 3:15 "...always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you..." They go hand-in-hand. Are we to choose which commandments we follow now?