Friday, July 25, 2008

Confession of Confusion



I Kissed A Girl, and I Liked It!

As a former Youth Pastor and father of three daughters, I always try to stay in touch with what’s going on with our youth today (don’t misinterpret “former” to mean I don’t minister to youth any longer; most of my time outside of vocationally pastoring is spent ministering to youth). Well one of the things I do to see what has our young peoples time and attention is to see what is floating on the top of the music charts on Billboard. Coming in for the 10th week at number one on Billboard’s top 100 is Katy Perry’s song, “I Kissed a Girl.”

“I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

Overnight sensation? No, Katy Perry grew up singing . . . Gospel! Katy’s real name is Katy Hudson, who use to be a Gospel recording artist who sung songs like:

“For He’ll [God] prevail
In the midst of all my trials and tribulations
And He’ll prevail
In the midst of all my sin and temptations . . .”

To singing song lyrics like these:

This was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion
It’s not what, I’m used to
Just wanna try you on
I’m curious for you
Caught my attention
I kissed a girl and I liked it

Hello? Is anyone listening to her? “Drink in hand, Lost my Discretion, not what I’m use to.” No it’s not what she is use to. Katy grew up in a Christian household as the daughter of two pastors. Though she was not allowed to listen to “secular” music growing up, Katy’s life would change forever after being introduced to the music of “Queen” at a slumber party. Ever since then, she says “the group has been my biggest influence.” She tasted it, and she liked it.

I don’t know Katy Perry. Maybe I will get a change to speak with her one day. But I know she is a far cry from home and the self-entitled Christian album she released back in 2001. I don’t actually have a problem with Christians having “Secular” careers as long as their lyrics, lips, and lifestyle do not contradict Godly principles. In this case, I was wondering if she rebelled against growing up in a “strict” home, to express her frustrations or freedom; or is it the case that she compromised her values and beliefs in order to earn some real money. Maybe she’s not quite sure what she believes and she’s still trying to figure things out; or how about this . . . she is just trippin’ with what she believes is a goofy song (a lil’ Cognac will do that to you).

I know what didn’t surprise me . . . all of the responses from the Christian community, blogs, and postings.

”Look at her showing all her goodies”
“Sell out”
“Her parents must be disgusted with her”
“She’s going to hell”

I don’t know what her final destination is (she might be going to the same place you are, put that where you want to). But I do know that many young people adhere to their parent’s rules and values when they are young because they have to. As they get older they are faced with decisions and situations that challenge who they are, what they believe, and how they will live. As I listened to the song I thought it was goofy, when I heard and read the lyrics, I thought it was sad. As believers, we should listen pass the catchy beat, fortune and fame (yeah, stop hatin’), quit just pointing our fingers and shaking our heads, and take the time to listen with our hearts long enough to see that this little girl is confused. All of these blogs I’ve been reading this morning are enough to make anyone jump out the window. And guess who is there to be understanding, forgiving and to provide some (however wrong) love, support, and advice . . . the world! (If you can’t say amen, say ouch).

Just saying that we should be willing to do more than just point at error, but also do something to correct it.

My Mind, My Thoughts, My Heart, My Words

Listen to this interview and what someone else called “A Confession of Confusion” (The first 3 minutes)



P.S. Katy, if you have questions about truth or maybe how you are feeling, when the crowd is gone and the band is back on the bus, I would love to talk with you. Please email me.
Shawn

4 comments:

AllForYeshua said...

Hi Shawn,

May I add to this the comment that I made on your other post "Capturing the Pains of Life"? Perhaps the Lord would like us all to see this young woman in the same manner as that starving little child going to find food while being hunted. If we can do nothing else, should we not be praying for this young lady? If I could do nothing else for my own children, that was always the greatest thing that I could do for them...still is.

Tavares said...

Hi Shawn,
As I listened to her video, I kept thinking about the prodigal son and the story of Jesus' parable about the lost sheep. Even though Katy tried to make light of the fact her parents may not be happy with her current life choice, she's obviously very bothered by it and the fact that she still professes to have a belief in "Christ" gives me a glimmer of hope for an opportunity her relationship with Jesus will/could be restored. Here's another reason we must daily pray for our children - who knows what song, movie, or friend Satan will use to turn their hearts, mind and thoughts from Christ.

Unknown said...

Like many Christian youth, I think she's kind of confused about her own beliefs and is trying to figure things out for herself by taking a path that she was denied when she was younger. Also, there is the desire to be seen as mainstream or "cool." But I agree with tavares who pointed out that she seemed a little bothered by having her faith brought up in a secular interview. Her conscience is still alive and kicking. She's a good reminder of why it's so important for youth to know the Truth the Bible teaches. And even if a child strays, if the Truth is taught, some of it will stick with him/her.

Bruce P said...

Very good article!! I pray she be used by God along with this ministry for others who point the finger at her as though they are righteous by her sin. It is only by grace that any of us are who we are, if we are who we say we are.
Paul asked, "who are you that you are different?". WE walk by grace through faith and that, the gift of God, not of any works or of ourselves!
I pray she see the grace of God shown by his son and the cross He sent to incur the wrath of God from we deserve. Not her return to family values or righteousness apart from Christ! The prodigal father is God, not her family values! I pray for her family to show her it is not their righteousness which will save her and bring her home.